Appoint non-teaching staff

Use EdPay to add a new non-teaching employee who is either new to the school or who is starting a new job at the school.

The new employee may also require:

  • authorisation to access EdPay
  • KiwiSaver enrolment
  • annualisation (only for term-time-only staff on the Support Staff in Schools' Collective Agreement, who start their job at the beginning of the school year).
You'll need your employee's:
  • contract details
  • date of birth
  • IRD number
  • funding and department codes
  • allowance information
  • KiwiSaver contribution details

Send your new employee's forms with their appointment letter

Send any required forms to the employee with their appointment letter, so they can be set up in the payroll in time their first pay day. Include a covering letter that explains what to complete and provide a timeframe for them to return the forms.

See the Payroll calendar to determine the cut-off date for instructions in their first pay period.

Checklist of tasks

  • Ask the employee to complete the EdPay employee details form
  • Ask the employee to complete a IR330 - Tax Code Declaration from Inland Revenue. Also see KiwiSaver for a new employee. You don't need to send these forms to Education Payroll, but you will use the information to set up the new employee in EdPay, and keep them on file for your own records.
  • Use EdPay to add the new employee. See Adding an employee in EdPay
  • For annualised employees you will also need to complete an EP23nt. You can only request annualisation until the end of January for each year. See Annualisation
  • Once the submission shows as successful in your EdPay activity history, check all personal, financial and contract details are correct.
  • If the new employee requires access to EdPay in order to carry out payroll duties, complete an EP5 form. See Authorised user access
  • If you have more than one form to email to Education Payroll for this employee, it is essential that you attach only one form to each email. 
Use the following format in the subject line:

Form number, Employee name, MoE number, School name, School number

Example: EP23nt, Jane Doe, 0123456, Sample School, 01234

See Sending forms.

Your new employee will appear on your next SUE report. For any further changes make a pay details change in EdPay. See Employees details changes

Need help?

See the Contact us page.

Record keeping

Keep the following forms in the employee's file:

  • Original IR330 tax declaration form
  • Copies of the EP5, EP23nt and KiwiSaver forms (KS1 and KS2), if applicable.

See Payroll record keeping for more details.


See Edpay and forms to download forms and guidance on completing forms.

Related links

Ministry of Education website:

NZSTA website: