Appoint a principal

Use EdPay to create a new appointment record for a principal.

The new principal will also require:

  • access to EdPay and 
  • may require KiwiSaver enrolment.

The principal's salary and allowances are all advised to Education Payroll by the Ministry of Education, so schools do not need to enter a salary for a new principal.

You'll need the new principal's:

  • contract details
  • date of birth
  • IRD number
  • funding and department codes
  • allowance information
  • KiwiSaver contribution

You can download the EdPay Employee Details form to collect this information from the principal.

See our Training page for the Add an employee in EdPay training guide.

Acting principal role

There can be only one principal role set up for a school. To appoint an acting principal, see Appoint an acting principal.

Send employee forms in good time

It is recommended that you send any required forms to the principal with their appointment letter, to ensure they are paid correctly on their first pay day. Include a covering letter that explains what to complete, and provide a timeframe for them to return the forms.

See the Payroll calendar to determine the cut-off date for instructions in their first pay period.

Checklist of tasks

  • Ask the principal to complete the EdPay employee details form.
  • Ask the principal to complete an IR330 – Tax code declaration form. Also see KiwiSaver for a new employee  You don’t need to send these forms to Education Payroll, but you will use the information to set up the new principal in EdPay, and keep on file for your records.
  • Use EdPay to add the new principal.
  • Your new principal will appear on your next SUE report. For any further changes make a pay details change in EdPay. See Employees details changes 
  • Once the submission shows as successful in your EdPay activity history check all personal financial and contract details are correct.
  • Complete an EdPay5 form for the new principal to request access to EdPay. This must be signed by a board representative. Send the signed original to Education Payroll. See Request access to EdPay.

If you have more than one form to email to Education Payroll for this employee, it is essential that you attach only one form to each email.

Use the following format in the subject line:

Form number, Employee name, MoE number, School name, School number

Example: EdPay5, Jane Doe, 0123456, Sample School, 01234

See Sending forms

Need help?

See Contact us page.

Record keeping

Keep the following forms in the principal's file:

  • Copy of the signed EdPay5 form
  • IR330 tax declaration form
  • Copies of KiwiSaver forms, if applicable.

See Payroll record keeping for more details.


See EdPay and forms to download forms, and for guidance on completing forms.

Information for the principal

Related links

How to:

A-Z of payroll:


Ministry of Education website:

NZSTA website: