Funding source

Operational funding (or Bulk Grant funding) is the money a board of trustees receives from the Government to implement the goals of the school's charter, and for the running of the school. See Operational funding on the Ministry of Education website.

Operational funding does not include funding for the salaries of entitlement teachers. The Teachers' Salaries funding is used to pay employees who are employed under the Entitlement Staffing. See School staffing on the Ministry of Education website.

Employees can also be paid from 'Other' funding sources with Ministry approval, eg. study award.

An employee's funding source is assigned when they are added to the Education Service Payroll as a new appointment. See Funding codes for the codes that can be assigned.

Change funding source

You can change a teacher's funding source in EdPay. To do this:

  • Go to the My Employees page and click on the employee to amend
  • Scroll to the employee's Job Funding section, and press the edit button
  • Make changes then SEND to submit.

Note: changes to codes for Study award (11320), Sabbatical (11340), and Community Education (11020) will create a ticket to be processed by Education Payroll. 

Changes to Sabbatical or Study Award funding must be accompanied by an approval letter from the Ministry. See Staffing Allowances (Ministry of Education website). Please attach this to the ticket and send back to Education Payroll. 

For all other changes or if not able to complete in EdPay, complete a NOVO21 form.

Retrospective funding source changes

If the retrospective change dates back more than two pay periods, do the following:

  • If you are correcting a school error, approval is required from the Ministry. Email a NOVO21 form to, with the reason for the request in the email. If approved, Resourcing forwards the form to the Education Payroll Service Centre.
  • If correcting an error made by Education Payroll, send a EP31 form to the Education Payroll Service Centre with details


See EdPay and forms to download forms and for guidance on completing forms.

Related links

How to:

A-Z of payroll:


Ministry of Education website: