Annualisation enables you to spread out the earnings of support staff who work only during term-time, giving them equal fortnightly pays all year. Caretakers and cleaners cannot be annualised. The employee needs to agree that they would like to have their payments annualised.

In order to be annualised, an employee must be intending to work for at least a full school year and not be planning to take more than two consecutive weeks of unpaid leave.

The annualisation start and end dates are set in the Support Staff in Schools' Collection Agreement - Clause 3:15, and are from 31 January of any year to 30 January of the following year.

The fortnightly calculation is based on the employee's standard hours per week, but excludes additional hours. Annual leave is built into these fortnightly payments. Annualised employees are paid public holidays if they fall on a day of the week they normally work.

For annualised authorised users

If you or other authorised users at your school are annualised, remember to update this each year by sending in your EP23nt before mid-Jan or you will lose access to EdPay and the service centre when your current annualised year ends on 30 January.

How to annualise

Complete an EP23nt (links to form and instructions). You need to do this each year before the employee starts as the annualisation percentage calculations change depending on when public holidays and term dates fall.

If you have a term-time only employee starting before 31 January, you'll need to timesheet those hours.

For 2023, all EP23nt forms have to be submitted by the form cut-off for pay period 23, which this year is 30 January 2023.

Changes during the year

If your employee's pay rate, hours or allowances change during the annualised year, or they sign a new employment agreement, complete an EP24nt for 2022, or a NOVO24nt form for years between 2018-2021. See EdPay and forms for links to forms and instructions.

Cease annualisation

  • If the employee chooses to stop having their pay annualised before the end of the year, use EdPay to make a pay details change to change their employment type. They can then be paid term-time only or by timesheet.
  • If they take unplanned leave without pay for more than two weeks, you need to stop their annualisation. Use EdPay to book the leave or complete a NOVO12 (link to form and instructions). Then use EdPay to make a pay details change to change their employment type and select LWOP as the reason. 
  • If the employee stops working at your school before the end of the annualisation year, complete a NOVO6 form. (do not terminate in EdPay) To pay them the remainder of their annualisation as a lump sum you can write in their Last Day of Duty on the form and write in the comments that the remainder should be paid as a lump sum. If they would rather continue to receive their pay at the annualised amount through to the end of the year, use 30 January as their Last Day of Duty.

Record keeping

Retain a copy of any forms in the employee's file. See Payroll record keeping for more details.

 Learn more

Click here for more information about annualisation including sample calculations.

A brief introduction to annualisations Video 2mins (Opens in Vimeo)